Elton John Postpones Additional Shows Following Pneumonia Diagnosis
Pop icon Elton John had to cancel two remaining shows in New Zealand following his pneumonia diagnosis.
Earlier this week, he was forced to cut his show short in Auckland after he lost his voice and needed medical help onstage. He apologized to fans, noting that he was “incredibly disappointed,” but he was unable to continue the show. Initially, tour promoters Chugg Entertainment said that John was recovering and would continue the tour as planned, aside from pushing back a New Zealand performance by one day to Wednesday. However, on Tuesday night, the promoters released a statement, postponing the gig.
“Despite the best efforts of a performer who never wants to disappoint his fans, upon further consultation from doctors and specialists, it has this evening been decided that Sir Elton John’s two remaining Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, performances will be rescheduled to Friday 15th and Saturday 16th January 2021,” it said.
John said that he wants to “be able to give 100% and I’m afraid that, right now, I’m not able to do that.”
“I am grateful for the love and loyalty I have been shown by all of you and I can’t wait to return in January next year to perform my final New Zealand shows,” he said in a statement.
The shows, which were a part of of his Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour, were slated to take place ahead of his seven performances in Australia next month. From there, he will head to the U.S. and Canada for more shows throughout 2020.